Wash-Day Tips to Help Moisturize Your Curly Hair
Check out below a few of the different ways that you can help improve the overall moisture levels of your hair during wash-day:
- Give your hair adequate access to water inside of your shower. The amount of water your hair receives on wash-day is key to keeping the hair moisturized throughout the week.
- Before shampooing, use a slippery, hydrating conditioner as a pre-poo such as the Taliah Waajid Apple and Aloe Deep Conditioner to help protect your shampoo from over-stripping your natural oils at the scalp. The maintenance of these natural oils can help to keep your scalp and strands moisturized,
- When drying curly hair with a towel, pat your hair dry with a towel gently, or let your hair air dry or diffuser dry after you apply your styling products. Tip: I love using microfiber towels instead of regular cotton towels for my afro-textured hair because they are extremely gentle as well as absorb moisture better than any other material.
- After shampooing your hair, apply a moisturizing deep conditioner or masque such as the Kinky Tresses Restorative Conditioner to help re-hydrate your hair strands. The ingredients in a conditioner should naturally include hydration elements from healthy oils, butters, hydrators or humectants such as honey, glycerin, aloe vera and mango butter. Deep condition for at least 10 minutes and occasionally keep the conditioner on for longer periods of time to add more moisture to your hair.
- After your shampoo and condition routine, apply a hydrating leave-in conditioner like the Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner, defining cream or gel like the LUS All In One: Curly, or a moisturizer like the TGIN Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer (or all three) to help lock the water that you received into your shower into your strand. The polymers in the defining products will leave behind a "cast", that will function as a barrier to the water leaving your strand.
Increasing the moisture levels of your hair happens over time and is something that you will have to work at. The goal is for your hair to stay touchably soft and moisturized for 5 to 7 days after you leave the shower without you having to reapply product. Your hair will grow to this level but it will take some time, especially if you are recovering from heat or chemical damage. But don't worry, we are here to help make sure you get there! Check out our Curly Hair Help portal here to see if we can answer any more of your questions.